Students with documented long-term or permanent disability conditions may need to make disability-related housing or dietary requests. Students should complete the housing application and pay the housing deposit while sending the necessary information to DSS.
Requests for accommodations related to housing and dietary needs may be reviewed by DSS, and when necessary, by appropriate staff from Housing & Residence Life, Health Services, and/or Counseling Services.
To maximize the university’s ability to consider requests, students should submit the following information by the deadlines below:
Returning Students: April 1
New Students: May 1
May/Summer 1/Summer 2
Late requests will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis, but cannot be guaranteed. Below is a summary of the factors considered when evaluating housing requests.
Severity of Condition
• Is the impact of the condition life threatening if the request is not met?
• Is there a negative health impact that may be permanent if the request is not met?
• Is the request an integral component of a treatment plan for the condition in question?
• What is the likely impact on academic performance if the request is not met?
• What is the likely impact on the student’s level of comfort if the request is not met?
Timing of Request
• Was the request made with initial housing request?
• Was the request made before the deadline for housing requests for semester in question?
• Was the request made as soon as possible after identifying the need? (Based on date of diagnosis, receipt of housing assignment, change in status, etc.)
Feasibility and Availability
• Is space available that meets the student’s needs?
• Can space or procedures be adapted to provide the requested configuration without creating a safety hazard (electrical load, emergency egress, medical emergencies, etc.)?
• Are there other effective methods or housing configurations that would achieve similar benefits as the requested configuration?
• How does meeting this request impact housing commitments to other students?
Please send any documentation for housing disability-related requests to DSS. Documentation can be mailed or faxed to the address listed below.
Disability Support Services
University of Montevallo
Montevallo, AL 35115
Phone: (205) 665-6250
Fax: (205) 665-6255