• There will be a meeting of the Montevallo Astronomical Society and the UM Astronomy Club Wednesday, Oct. 22, from 7:30-9 p.m. at the James Wylie Shepherd Observatory. All visitors are welcome for an evening of celestial observing and good company. For those with GPS navigation systems, the physical address of the JWSO is 1093 Pebble Road, Montevallo, AL 35115. Directions to the JWSO: Following 119 South through Montevallo, turn right onto 10 West (Middle Street) and continue for 1 mile, bearing right onto 17 North. After 0.3 miles, turn left onto 206 West, and after 0.4 miles, turn right onto Pebble Road, continuing 0.7 miles to the UM Gentry Springs property.
• Attention UM students, faculty and staff who have young children! UM’s Human Development and Family Studies program, in conjunction with the Shelby County Children’s Policy Council, will host a free community parenting workshop in Montevallo. Sessions will be held at the University Baptist Child Development Center (440 Overland Road) on the following Thursdays from 6-7 p.m.
Sessions topics include:
Sessions will be taught by upper-division students in the Human Development and Family Studies program, under the direction of Assistant Professor Cindy Wilson. Students will lead sessions from the Nurturing Parenting Program, a nationally recognized, evidence-based parent education program. Walk-ins are welcome, and free child care is provided by reservation. For more information or to register, contact Myra Shaw at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 9-945-0018, ext. 303.
• The UM chapter of Phi Mu will host the Miss Carnation Pageant Saturday, Oct. 25, in Palmer Auditorium on the UM campus. The pageant will begin at 1 p.m. There will be four age divisions: elementary school (Little Miss), middle school (Junior Miss), high school (Senior Miss) and University of Montevallo (Miss). The competition will include a beauty walk, casual wear, most photogenic and people’s choice. Admission is $5 for adults (18 and over) $3 for children (7-17). Children 6 and under will be admitted free of charge. Tickets for college students will be $3 pre-sale and $5 at the door. All tickets include one free prize entry, and tickets for additional opportunities to win may be purchased for $1 each. All proceeds from this event will go directly to Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals. For more information, contact Autumn Acton at email@example.com.
• The Alabama Department of Public Health will be offering the flu vaccine to UM students, faculty, staff and their families Wednesday, Oct. 29, from 9 a.m.-noon at the McChesney Student Activity Center. The cost is $5 per vaccination, and those getting the shot are asked to bring correct change.
• Best Buddies Montevallo has 106 members, including 24 Buddies from United Cerebral Palsy of Birmingham. The next function, a Halloween party, will take place Friday, Oct. 31, at LincPoint UCP in Birmingham.
• Best Buddies has paired with Aaron’s Respite to give a night off for parents and siblings of children with disabilities. The first BB/AR event was Oct. 11 at University Baptist Church. There were 22 children and 26 UMBB volunteers. ATO, Alpha Gamma Delta, AKL and Fiji had trunk or treat for all of our kids. The next Respite Night will be Saturday, Nov. 8, from 5-9 p.m. at UBC. Questions? Contact Dani Rich at 9-665-6729 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Mark your calendars and commit to participate! UM Counseling Services is organizing a team to participate in the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention’s (AFSP) Out of the Darkness Community Walk. Did you know that in the U.S., a person dies by suicide every 13.3 minutes? By participating in the walk, an annual event that raises money and awareness for suicide prevention, you can make a real difference! UM’s group will be walking at Heardmont Park Sunday, Nov. 2, at 2:30 p.m. To join UM’s team, visit the registration site online. For more information, contact Counseling Services at 9-665-6245 or by e-mail at Counseling@montevallo.edu.
• Mark your calendars! The Color Me ChiO Run will take place Saturday, Nov. 8, at the McChesney Student Activity Center. Registration will take place at 7 a.m. and the race will begin at 8 a.m. Registration is $25 for ages 13 and up, $20 for students, $15 for children 12 and under, and free for young children through age 3. For more information or to register, visit their page online or visit the Facebook event page at: Color Me Chi O 5k Run 2014. All proceeds will benefit the Make A Wish Foundation. Questions? Contact Joie Hale at 205-908-6036.
• Mark your calendars and RSVP for your tickets now! The UM men’s basketball team will face the Alabama Crimson Tide Monday, Nov. 10, in Tuscaloosa. There will be a reception from 5-6:45 p.m. at the Hotel Capstone, and tip-off is at 7 p.m. at Coleman Coliseum. Registration is $10 and includes a game ticket. RSVP by Friday, Oct. 31, by visiting UM alumni events online or by calling the Alumni Office at 9-665-6215.
• Mark your calendars! Senior Elite Night will be held Wednesday, Nov. 12, in Palmer Auditorium at 6 p.m. Details to follow in a future issue of Wednesday Memo.