• The annual Shelby County Alumni Benefit Bash will take place Thursday, April 30, in the Anna Irvin Dining Hall. Dinner, provided by Nathews BBQ, will begin at 6 p.m., followed by the start of the benefit bash at 6:30 p.m. The cost is $20 per person and includes food, drinks and an opportunity for great prizes. Contact Dianne Kyzer at 9-665-6215 or at email@example.com to register. Checks made payable to “UM Foundation” may be sent to UM Alumni Office, Station 6215, Montevallo, Al 35115. Relax, join in the fun and celebrate the end of another semester!
• April is Child Abuse Prevention Month. UM’s chapter of Chi Sigma Iota, a counseling honor society, is accepting donations of new art supplies and coping bag supplies. All donations will be given to a local child advocacy center. Please drop donations in the box located outside Wills 110 (the Counseling and Leadership Office), before Thursday, April 30.
Items needed include:
The group thanks everyone in advance for making a difference in the life of a child!
• All are invited to the 2014-2015 Montevallo Connection Celebration, set for Thursday, April 30, at 4 p.m. in Wills 200. This event will serve as a celebration of the current partnership with local schools, as well as a time to brainstorm new ideas for the next academic year.
• The recent Earth Day food drive held at UM yielded 300 pounds of canned food! A big thank you is extended to all who participated. The food will be donated to Shelby Emergency Assistance to help fill the dietary and food security gap that occurs during the summer months when schools are closed and local children are home for three meals per day.
• Parnell Memorial Library is seeking donations of old T-shirts for a summer reading craft. T-shirts can be any size and color and can be plain or may include print, logos, etc. Donations can be made directly at the library (located behind Eclipse), or can be dropped off on the porch of the GloCo building (behind and across the street from Trustmark Bank). T-shirts dropped at GloCo will be delivered to Parnell by staff of the Office of Service Learning and Community Engagement.
• Plots are now available in the UM Organic Community Garden. Each plot is 10' x 10' with walking space around all sides. Organic fertilizer has already been added to each plot. Plots are available for six months of growing, from April-October, at a cost of $10 per plot or $5 and 5 volunteer hours. For those who wish to donate the food they grow, it will be accepted by Shelby Emergency Assistance (SEA). Since June 2011, the UM Organic Community Garden, UM Environmental Club, ES 300 Summer Harvest class* and community volunteers have donated more than 4,000 pounds of vegetables grown in the garden’s donation plot to SEA. For more information or to rent a plot, contact Jill Wicknick at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* ES 300 Summer Harvest will be taught during Summer II and is open to all students.
• The Birmingham Zoo is celebrating its 60th anniversary this year and would like to share this milestone with Shelby County by providing a Shelby County Day on Saturday, May 30, from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. The zoo will offer 50 percent off general admission to all Shelby County residents, as well as to University of Montevallo students and employees. Those participating will need to present one of the following: driver’s license, employee ID, or university ID. The zoo will also offer $20 off any zoo membership to all Shelby County residents and employees at this event. For more information, contact the zoo’s group coordinator at 205-870-5230 or the main number at 205-870-0409. For more information, visit The Birmingham Zoo online.