• The annual Social Work Club Halloween bake sale will take place Wednesday, Oct. 29, from 11 a.m.-2 p.m. in the UMOM lobby. All proceeds go to the club and its charitable projects.
• COMS Day 2014 will take place Thursday, Oct. 30, from 12:30-4:20 p.m., in the Merchants and Planters Bank Auditorium in Comer Hall.
• Attention UM students, faculty and staff who have young children! UM’s Human Development and Family Studies program, in conjunction with the Shelby County Children’s Policy Council, will host a free community parenting workshop in Montevallo. Sessions will be held at the University Baptist Child Development Center (440 Overland Road) on the following Thursdays from 6-7 p.m.
Remaining session topics include:
Sessions will be taught by upper-division students in the Human Development and Family Studies program, under the direction of Assistant Professor Cindy Wilson. Students will lead sessions from the Nurturing Parenting Program, a nationally recognized, evidence-based parent education program. Walk-ins are welcome, and free child care is provided by reservation. For more information or to register, contact Myra Shaw at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 9-945-0018, ext. 303.
• UM Counseling Services is organizing a team to participate in the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention’s (AFSP) Out of the Darkness Community Walk. Did you know that in the U.S., a person dies by suicide every 13.3 minutes? By participating in the walk, an annual event that raises money and awareness for suicide prevention, you can make a real difference! UM’s group will be walking at Heardmont Park Sunday, Nov. 2, at 2:30 p.m. To join UM’s team, visit their page online. For more information, contact Counseling Services at 9-665-6245 or by e-mail at Counseling@montevallo.edu.
• Best Buddies has paired with Aaron’s Respite to give a night off for parents and siblings of children with disabilities. The first BB/AR event was Oct. 11 at University Baptist Church. There were 22 children and 26 UMBB volunteers. ATO, Alpha Gamma Delta, AKL and Fiji had trunk or treat for all of our kids. The next Respite Night will be Saturday, Nov. 8, from 5-9 p.m. at UBC. Questions? Contact Dani Rich at 9-665-6729 or at email@example.com.
• Mark your calendars! The Color Me ChiO Run will take place Saturday, Nov. 8, at the McChesney Student Activity Center. Registration will take place at 7 a.m. and the race will begin at 8 a.m. Registration is $25 for ages 13 and up, $20 for students, $15 for children 12 and under, and free for young children through age 3. For more information or to register, visit the event page online or visit the Facebook event page at: Color Me Chi O 5k Run 2014. All proceeds will benefit the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Questions? Contact Joie Hale at 205-908-6036.
• Mark your calendars and RSVP for your tickets now! The UM men’s basketball team will face the Alabama Crimson Tide Monday, Nov. 10, in Tuscaloosa. There will be a reception from 5-6:45 p.m. at the Hotel Capstone, and tip-off is at 7 p.m. at Coleman Coliseum. Registration is $10 and includes a game ticket. RSVP by Friday, Oct. 31, by visiting the event page online or by calling the Alumni Office at 9-665-6215.
• Mark your calendars! Senior Elite Night will be held Wednesday, Nov. 12, in Palmer Auditorium at 6 p.m. Details to follow in a future issue of Wednesday Memo.